First Sunday of Advent, December 02, 2018
We bring our prayers and petitions to the Lord at the beginning of this Advent season with watchful waiting, confident that he provides for all our needs.
- For the Church, that during this Advent season we will wait in joyful hope for the coming of Our Lord more deeply into our lives. We pray to the Lord.
- That during these times when many nations are in dismay, all people may recognize their own failures knowing that the Lord guides the humble to justice and teaches the humble his way. We pray to the Lord.
- That at this time of Advent renewal, we may recognize our powerlessness to change our sinful past but will be determined to live well in the present and find a future of holiness with hope for salvation. We pray to the Lord.
- That the children of the world who live in fear – suffering exploitation, violence, and hunger – may be revered as the future of our world and find relief, love, and joy. We pray to the Lord.
- That those living in the streets during winter may receive appropriate assistance and find adequate shelter. We pray to the Lord.
- That the bishops of the world, and all Catholics, will join the psalmist in beseeching the Lord to make his ways known, to be guided in his truth, and to be taught his paths. We pray to the Lord.
- That this season of Advent will be one of renewal for the whole church, a season in which people look to the final coming of the Lord with anticipation, confidence, and hope. We pray to the Lord.
- That the Advent season of waiting may be for Fr. Christopher a time of expectation and a reminder that the Lord came into the world to be with each of us in our suffering and will come again. We pray to the Lord.
- That those who are ill may be comforted by friends and medical personnel, may find relief from the ravages of disease, and will receive the respect that all life deserves. We pray to the Lord.
- That those who have died, those whose days of constant vigilance have ended, may be granted the Lord’s salvation and be welcomed into eternal life. We pray to the Lord.
- For our own intentions that we recall in silence…….. We pray to the Lord.
O God, as we enter this Advent season may we gain an appreciation for waiting and anticipation as precursors of your answering our prayers and fulfilling all our needs. We offer all our prayers through Jesus Christ, your Son our Lord. Amen.
1 thought on “First Sunday of Advent, December 02, 2018”
So much to pray for! Thank you for the reminder to pray….I have a rosary someone gave me after her trip to the Holy land and her son in law had placed it on altars of several churches or holy sites there………… and i hang onto that rosary at night until I fall asleep praying for people and such needs as these……plus all those left unspoken……….many people have been and will be remembered! I love Advent! If we copy the petitions and then cut each one separately and place in a little empty sugar bowl on our table we can choose one each night at dinner and read it out loud……… to help us remember to pray for all these good intentions ….add new onew as they come up…..We did it a month ago and each night we pick one out and read one…….a nice way to pray! One of our friends lost his sister over in Italy but he is unable to go to the funeral as he has been treating with doctors for a blood clot in his leg and unable to fly there………. she had an aneurysm and no warning of sickness!Pray that love grows in the hearts of young married couples–and they learn about the love of Advent—–how Jesus waits for them just as we wait for HIm—Jesus loves each of them!