Pentecost Sunday, June 09, 2019
On this day as we celebrate the Holy Spirit imparting courage, knowledge, and wisdom to the Church, we ask that the Spirit will be present in our lives.
- That the Holy Spirit will inspire Pope Francis in his efforts to renew the Church, in the appointment of bishops, as he inspires the faithful, and in breaking down opposition to needed reforms. We pray to the Lord.
- That the Holy Spirit will inspire the nations of the world truly to hear each other and to communicate genuine concern for the poor and marginalized in ensuring peace and prosperity for all. We pray to the Lord.
- That the Holy Spirit will be a noise like a driving wind that fills the entire room where the U.S. bishops will be meeting this week so that they will act forcefully and sincerely to rid the Church of sexual abuse and to provide needed leadership. We pray to the Lord.
- That the bishops will respond to the promptings of the Spirit in their daily responsibilities to shepherd the priests and people of their dioceses with compassion, humility, and mercy. We pray to the Lord.
- That in honoring Mary as Mother of the Church during this week, we ask that she may intercede on behalf of all the faithful that the Church may root out all vestiges of evil, abuse, and infidelity and better reflect the message of the Gospels. We pray to the Lord.
- That those who lock themselves in rooms or in their homes for fear of terrorism, crime, and violence may be visited by the Lord’s spirit of peace that brings them courage and hope for the future. We pray to the Lord.
- That those who gave of themselves in the Normandy landings on D-Day and in subsequent battles through the years in the quest for freedom will know gratitude in this live and everlasting reward in the next. We pray to the Lord.
- That Fr. Christopher may remain steadfast in his fight against injustice and may look with hope and anticipation toward his future of priestly service. We pray to the Lord.
- That Jesus may stand in the midst of the sick in their hospital rooms or wherever they are suffering offering his peace. We pray to the Lord.
- That our deceased friends, relatives, and parishioners will be brought by the Holy Spirit to a glorious resurrection in Jesus Christ. We pray to the Lord.
- For our own intentions that we recall in silence…….. We pray to the Lord.
Lord God we offer these petitions on this Pentecost Sunday with different voices that express our common need for peace, justice, mercy, and the presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives. With confidence in your love, we make these prayers through Christ our Lord. Amen.