Fifth Sunday of Ordinary Time, A, February 09, 2020
We call upon the Lord with our petitions in hope that he may hear our pleas and answer with the response, “Here I am!”
- That the Church may be light for a world in darkness, and salt which seasons the earth with hope and charity that reveal the love of Jesus. We pray to the Lord.
- That world leaders will turn away from divisive words that cause only alienation and take action to feed the starving, clothe the naked, provide shelter for those who have no home, and foster peace in parts of the world wracked by oppression and violence. We pray to the Lord.
- That our compassion and concern for others will be a light that breaks forth like the dawn to heal a wounded world. We pray to the Lord.
- That Pope Francis will be inspired by the Holy Spirit to provide forceful guidance to the Florida bishops meeting with him during their ad limina visit this week so that the people of Florida will be shepherded well. We pray to the Lord.
- That in leading the Diocese of Venice, Bishop Frank Dewane will remove oppression, false accusation, and malicious speech from our midst so that light shall rise for us in the darkness and the gloom shall become like midday. We pray to the Lord.
- That the people confined in quarantine in their cities, on cruise ships, and in government facilities will remain hopeful and be protected from the corona virus. We pray to the Lord.
- That scientists, doctors, and medical professionals who seek to prevent the corona virus and cure those who are infected will be granted the wisdom and knowledge to succeed in their quest. We pray to the Lord.
- That Christians who are persecuted for their faith and have their places of worship destroyed in China, Iraq, and Nigeria will know the support of our prayers and be courageous in proclaiming their faith and overcoming their tormenters. We pray to the Lord.
- That Fr. Christopher may be comforted and encouraged by the words of today’s readings from Scripture so that he will remain determined to keep his light from being placed under a bushel basket. We pray to the Lord.
- That those who are ill from the flu as well as those engaged in longer term battles against cancer and other life-threatening diseases will be graced with courage and know the support of our community through prayer and action. We pray to the Lord.
- That our family and friends who have died may be welcomed with joy into the everlasting brightness that is the light of heaven. We pray to the Lord.
- For our own intentions that we recall in silence…….. We pray to the Lord.
O God we ask that you salt our lives with glimpses of your love for the world and light our path back to you through your answer to these prayers that we make through Christ our Lord. Amen.