Holy Thursday, April 09, 2020
Although physically distanced on this day, we find ourselves able to come together from across the world to offer our prayers to God in gratitude for the Eucharist that we share and for the priesthood that serves in Jesus’ name.
- For the Church, that this difficult period of physical distancing may strengthen our appreciation for the community of believers with whom we are united spiritually. We pray to the Lord.
- That those who hold positions of leadership may inspire with words and actions that will protect the weak and the poor and bring unity to all people in defeating the coronavirus. We pray to the Lord.
- That as the prayers of the Mass and readings from Scripture echo on the walls of empty churches, they may also reverberate in our hearts and minds as they call us to be disciples of Jesus. We pray to the Lord.
- That as Jesus served his disciples by washing their feet, may we prayerfully unite our hand washing with him in service to those we encounter that they may be protected. We pray to the Lord.
- That those men who have answered the call to the priesthood may rejoice today, and all days, as they live their vocations in service to God and his people. We pray to the Lord.
- That being deprived of the sacramental reception of Jesus in the Holy Eucharist on this memorial day of its institution may unite us more closely with those regularly deprived of the sacraments by war, hatred, and persecution. We pray to the Lord.
- That the Jewish people observing Passover may not be struck down by hatred or disease as they faithfully celebrate their memorial feast with pilgrimage to the Lord as a perpetual institution. We pray to the Lord.
- That those isolated by sickness, imprisonment, or prejudice may not lose hope but may find a renewed welcome by society as people revealing parts of God’s sacred creation. We pray to the Lord.
- That all who work in the medical professions, providing care and comfort to the sick, will be protected from illness, courageous in their duties, tireless in their efforts, and cognizant of the gratitude of all the people they serve. We pray to the Lord.
- That those who are sick and their families will remain resolute in their efforts to overcome disease and will receive the grace of hope. We pray to the Lord.
- That those who have died will be received with joy by all the angels and saints into their heavenly home where all evil is washed away. We pray to the Lord.
Merciful God, at this time of suffering of your people may we see the sacraments as signs that you will never abandon us. May we wait in joyful hope that all our prayers will be answered so that we may praise your name and live with increased reverence for all life. We make our prayers through Christ our Lord. Amen.