Solemnity of the Ascension of the Lord, May 16, 2021
We celebrate this day when Jesus disappeared from the sight of the apostles and ascended to his heavenly Father. Confident that Jesus remains with us, we offer our petitions for our needs and the needs of the world.
- That the Church may not stand and look up at the sky but may give witness of Jesus’ love through the power of the Holy Spirit to the ends of the earth. We pray to the Lord.
- That the eyes of the hearts of leaders of nations may be enlightened to know the hope that belongs to Jesus’ call and the surpassing greatness of his power. We pray to the Lord.
- That we may live in a manner worthy of our call with humility, patience, and gentleness toward one another such that we bring love and peace to a broken world. We pray to the Lord.
- That the death and violence in Gaza and the Middle East will end as the warring parties commit themselves to ending terror and to lives of peace and mutual respect. We pray to the Lord.
- That the horrific use of children as pawns in political disputes, in personal vendettas, and in economic struggles will cease. We pray to the Lord.
- That our actions may proclaim the gospel to every creature and be confirmed through the grace that fills our lives and the lives of those we encounter. We pray to the Lord.
- That we may be grateful for the efforts of scientific and medical professionals that allow life to continue in many individuals despite diseases and health challenges that were fatal in former times. We pray to the Lord.
- That as we celebrate the Ascension of Jesus to the right hand of the Father, we may also heed Pope Francis’ insight that at all times and in moments of blindness, Jesus is with us although we may think we are alone. We pray to the Lord.
- That Fr. Christopher may know that although he has been abandoned by members of the Church hierarchy, he may know that our ascended Lord remains with him and offers him peace. We pray to the Lord.
- That those sickened from the coronavirus in India and all people and families whose lives are challenged by disease may receive the gift of hope to persevere, the vaccines and medicines to prevail, and confidence in the Lord’s presence with them. We pray to the Lord.
- That those who have died may be saved by the grace given to each of us and live forever with Jesus who has ascended into heaven. We pray to the Lord.
Heavenly Father, while we commemorate the Ascension of your Son into heaven, we offer our prayers and petitions with gratitude that he is your gift that abides with us forever. We make our prayer through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
 Based on remarks at Pope Francis’ General Audience, May 12, 2021.