Eighteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time, August 1, 2021
As we encounter the Bread of Life in this Eucharistic celebration, we offer our prayers for the Church, the world, and our own needs.
- That Pope Francis may lead the Church through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit and not be deterred in his mission by those who “live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their minds.” We pray to the Lord.
- That the resurgence of covid among people exhausted by its restrictions and impacts will be met with prudent policies and actions that protect the vulnerable and safeguard fragile lives. We pray to the Lord.
- That when searching for signs so that we may see and believe in Jesus, we may turn our eyes and minds to the Eucharist and see it more clearly as the Father’s gift of the bread which comes down from heaven and gives life to the world. We pray to the Lord.
- That the Church may receive from the Holy Spirit the grace and strength to reform herself in the light of the Gospel. We pray to the Lord.
- That we may turn our grumblings against others about unmet expectations into prayers to the Lord knowing that he is the one who feeds us and cares for all our needs. We pray to the Lord.
- That we may put away old selves and former ways of life corrupted through deceitful desires, be renewed, and put on new selves created in God’s way in righteousness and holiness of truth. We pray to the Lord.
- That our daily efforts may not focus on the food that perishes but may seek the food that endures for eternal life. We pray to the Lord.
- That those who farm to produce food for their towns, regions, and the world may have a summer of adequate rains, moderate temperatures, and gentle winds that will provide an abundant harvest. We pray to the Lord.
- That those who suffer from violence in their homes, wars and civil unrest, and persecution for their faith may find relief from their suffering and know peace each day of their lives. We pray to the Lord.
- That Fr. Christopher may regain his faculties and be fully restored to his priesthood that he has served so effectively as a minister of the life-giving Eucharist. We pray to the Lord.
- That those afflicted by physical, mental, or spiritual illness may be fed by the true bread which comes down from heaven and be restored to health. We pray to the Lord.
- That those who have died from malnourishment and parched throats will encounter the bread of life for all eternity and feast forever at the banquet of heaven. We pray to the Lord.
O God, may our prayers be answered through your gift of the bread of life and the cup of salvation which sustain us in the challenges of our lives. We make these prayers through Christ our Lord. Amen.
 Intention of Pope Francis for August, 2021.
1 thought on “Eighteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time, August 1, 2021”
what beautiful intentions…all good!!!
We also pray for the Olympians — kids from all nations who have worked hard to do well in thier sport…. and that those present for the US teams —will be safe and make new friends for America as good ambassadors for our country– each one has a story to share and that one gymnast Simone has discovered she is worth while and loved not just for her skill as an athlete— but as a person!!! She said that is how she feels for the first time in her life—
We need to make sure the young people in our lives – and all children— know we love them for who they are! Amen.