Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, August 15, 2021
On this great feast of the Assumption of Mary, we offer our prayers with thanksgiving for the perfection we see in Mary’s life of faith.
- That Church leaders will recognize Mary’s example of humility saying, “Yes,” to the Lord’s call to her as a model for faithful service that places the will of the Father above their own desires. We pray to the Lord.
- That Mary, the Mother of the Prince of Peace, will intercede for the people of Afghanistan, Yemen, Sudan, Ethiopia, Mexico, and all countries being ravaged by war that they may enjoy peace, freedom, and security. We pray to the Lord.
- That all people may join with Mary in proclaiming the greatness of the Lord with confidence in his mercy on those who fear him in every generation. We pray to the Lord.
- That Catholic bishops will demonstrate an understanding of the meaning of “right to life” and “safe environments” by taking actions that promote the spiritual, emotional, and physical well-being of all people in schools, churches, and throughout dioceses as the coronavirus rages. We pray to the Lord.
- That bishops will implement the Apostolic Letter of Pope Francis, Traditionis Custodes, as directed for the unity of the Church recognizing that, “Tradition is the living faith of the dead, traditionalism is the dead faith of the living.” We pray to the Lord.
- That students and teachers returning to school will grow in faith and knowledge through encounters with science, the arts, mathematics, and literature, and see the hand of God in all fields of study. We pray to the Lord.
- That the firefighters toiling in the West will be kept safe from harm and be successful in their efforts to save the forests, towns, homes, and people who are threatened. We pray to the Lord.
- That we may be blessed with the insights and joy of Elizabeth in receiving guests into our homes and strangers into our country, seeing each person as created in the image and likeness of God. We pray to the Lord.
- That Mary, Help of Christians, may intercede for those who suffer persecution and ridicule for their faith so that they may be strengthened against all oppression and show the love of Jesus to the world by their devotion. We pray to the Lord.
- That Fr. Christopher may continue in his efforts to preserve his priesthood knowing that the Lord scatters the proud in their conceit, casts down the mighty from their thrones, and lifts up the lowly. We pray to the Lord.
- That efforts will be made to ensure that poorer nations suffering from the pandemic receive vaccines and medical supplies that honor the value of all life. We pray to the Lord.
- That Mary, our mother, will comfort her children who are sick, suffering, worried, or fearful of the difficulties they are encountering. We pray to the Lord.
- That those who have died will be with Mary, Queen of Heaven, who was taken up body and soul into heavenly glory for all ages. We pray to the Lord.
O God, on this day when we celebrate the Assumption of the Mother of your Son, we ask that our prayers may rise to you with her so that we may have your peace in all the struggles and joys of our life. We make these prayers through Christ our Lord. Amen.
 Quote from J. Pelikan in The Vindication of Tradition: The 1983 Jefferson Lecture in the Humanities. Perhaps it is worth noting that the sentence following this quote is, “And, I suppose I should add, it is traditionalism that gives traditions such a bad name.”