The Ascension of the Lord, May 29, 2022
On this day as we celebrate Jesus’ victory over death and his glorious Ascension into heaven, we also mourn many who have died from war, the pandemic, and unfathomable killings of innocents. We turn to the Father and ask for the Spirit of wisdom and revelation that gives us knowledge of Jesus.
- That the Church will always join with the disciples who were with Jesus when he was taken up to heaven and be people of great joy who continually praise God in prayer and action. We pray to the Lord.
- That the nations of the world will renounce the horrors of war, and that their citizens will insist on actions by their leaders that honor the dignity of all humans and protect the most vulnerable and the marginalized among us. We pray to the Lord.
- For the children and teachers killed in Texas, and that their families may experience the peace that only the Lord offers as they overcome the heinous crime that has inflicted death on those they have treasured and loved. We pray to the Lord.
- That this Memorial Day Weekend will be a time to ponder and truly honor and be grateful for those fallen heroes who have died protecting our freedom, our families, and our way of life. We pray to the Lord.
- That as we observe the senseless spate of domestic killings that stand in sharp contrast to the heroism of those in the military and of first responders who have served to save lives, we will insist on measures that ensure the safety of children in schools, faithful people at their places of worship, and those who simply carry out the responsibilities of daily life. We pray to the Lord.
- That as we mark the death of one million Americans from COVID, we will be grateful for vaccines and medical care that has saved many additional lives and act to prevent the spread of disease among the poor in our country and in poor nations of the world who lack the resources to promote public health. We pray to the Lord.
- That the one hundred million refugees in the world who are fleeing war, poverty, persecution, and exploitation may be granted safe havens and be supported in their efforts to rebuild their lives in peace and security. We pray to the Lord.
- That as more decaying bodies of Ukrainians who huddled in basements trying to avoid the savage weapons of war are discovered, the stench of their death will add to the sights and sounds that loudly cry out that the horrific war being waged in their country must end. We pray to the Lord.
- That the autocracy being modeled in some archdioceses and dioceses will be repudiated so that both laity and clergy will be freed to serve the Lord in freedom and in response to their vocations. We pray to the Lord.
- That in the midst of tragedy, our hearts may be sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies may be washed in pure water as we unwaveringly hold to our confession of faith in Jesus that gives us hope. We pray to the Lord.
- That the Father of glory will give us a Spirit of wisdom and revelation resulting in knowledge of him that enlightens the eyes of our hearts and confirms the hope of his call. We pray to the Lord.
- That those who are ill in heart, body, or mind will receive the consolation of Jesus who suffered, died, rose, and ascended so that all might have life. We pray to the Lord.
- That the dead, whose lives on Earth cannot be recovered, will enjoy the everlasting life of heaven with Jesus who trampled death by his own death and who offers life to those in the tombs. We pray to the Lord.
Heavenly Father, we struggle these days with so many elements of life that fail to reflect all that Jesus did and taught until the day he was taken up. We ask that in these troubled times, the Holy Spirit may come upon us so that we will be witnesses of your love to the ends of the earth. We make these prayers through Christ our Lord. Amen.
1 thought on “The Ascension of the Lord, May 29, 2022”
Thank you for these intentions that we all think and hear about often. May God know that we ask for and need His help in solving the many problems in our world today–and we ask Him to send His spirit upon our world and all of our people and open ALL our hearts and minds to His wisdom!