Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, King of the Universe, November 20, 2022
On this last Sunday of the Church year, we acknowledge Jesus as king of the universe and ask the Father that we may be faithful members of that kingdom on Earth.
- That as Pope Francis serves the Church and all people, he will receive the wisdom and grace to forcefully proclaim the mercy, peace, and joy of the Kingdom of God on Earth. We pray to the Lord.
- That kings, presidents, and premiers will turn to Jesus Christ, King of the Universe, as a model for dealing with the downtrodden and all their citizens in recognition that their power comes only from God. We pray to the Lord.
- That on this World Children’s Day, we will join with people throughout the world in promoting the rights of all children “including appropriate legal protection, before as well as after birth.” We pray to the Lord.
- That children may grow in an atmosphere of affection and of moral and material security in the care of their parents protected against all forms of neglect, cruelty, and exploitation. We pray to the Lord.
- That in our disappointments and frustrations, we may not join with those who sneer at Jesus but rather will turn to him with the prayer, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” We pray to the Lord.
- That the newly selected leadership of the U. S. Conference of Catholic Bishops will be guided by the Holy Spirit in promoting unity, mercy, and love for all people as fundamental principles observe in all dioceses and throughout the Church. We pray to the Lord.
- That we will not become desensitized to the senseless murders in Idaho, Virginia, and on the streets of our country but will unite in prayer for the victims of violence and will support programs to reduce hatred, mental instability, and irreverence for life. We pray to the Lord.
- That our prayers may be more than “requests for favors addressed to the Lord, without any real interest in Him” but may reflect our desire to enter into a conversation and true relationship with the one who shared his life with us to the full. We pray to the Lord.
- That those sickened by lack of clean water, environmental stress, or the transmission of disease may have their health restored and find access to food, shelter, and improved living conditions. We pray to the Lord.
- That those whose deaths we recall this month will hear the words of Jesus, “Amen, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise.” We pray to the Lord.
Loving God, we turn to you with gratitude for your Son, our shepherd and king who guides us on straight paths so that we may go rejoicing to the house of the Lord. Amen.
 From Preamble of the Declaration of the Rights of the Child, resolution 1386 of the 14th Session of the United Nations, November 20, 1959.
 Based on Principles 6 and 9 of the Declaration of the Rights of the Child, resolution 1386 of the 14th Session of the United Nations, November 20, 1959.
 Pope Francis at his general audience, November 16, 2022.